Payment policies let your guests know what is expected of them and what they can expect of your venue. A well written policy can help prevent guests from being surprised about any fees or charges they may owe. If a guest does have an issue with a fee or charge, pointing out the payment policy —that they agreed to— is often enough to resolve the complaint. If the issue becomes more serious, a payment policy can also give your venue some legal protection.
The following guide provides an overview of what to look out for when creating a payment policy for your venue.
Disclaimer: The content on this page is intended only to provide a general overview of payment policies. The content does not constitute legal advice, and is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.
In your payment policy, consider mentioning;
- anything specific to your venue (e.g. minimum spends, drinks options)
- if dietary requirements can or can’t be catered for – and if notice in advance is required
- if any additional service charges apply (e.g. "please note that for any group bookings of __ people or more, a __% service charge will be added to your final bill)
- how they may go about changing or cancelling their booking – can it be done online or must they call?
- deposits and whether you offer a full refund (less transaction/admin fees?) on deposits
- anything specific to the event (different location to the venue, BYO or not BYO, all weather event or outside)
- what is done if an event is cancelled, moved or postponed
- what a ticket or event includes (e.g. food only, food and drink, entertainment, are there any additional costs?)
- drinking / event options – can they choose multiple packages? Are their paired drinks? Alcoholic and non alcoholic?
- whether tables will be held for unconfirmed bookings
No show fees
- Please note we require credit card details as security for your booking. Nothing will be debited from your card at the time of booking, however we do require __ hours notice for any changes or cancellations to your booking. Failure to do so will incur a cancellation fee of $__ per ______
- We require credit card details as security for groups of __ or more. Unfortunately experience dictates this is necessary. Your credit card will not be charged, but failure to notify of cancellation within __ hours will incur cancelation fee of $__ per group.
- We require a credit card as security for all groups larger than __ people. Your card will not be charged at the time of booking. However, we reserve the right to charge a no-show fee of $__ per person to this card, if the confirmed booking numbers change within __ hours prior to your attendance.
- For groups of __ and more a $__ deposit is required. The deposit will be charged at the time of booking. Deposits are refundable with at least __ days notice of the booking date.
Events / Full Payments
- Payments for this event are non-refundable within __ days of the event.